PASS is a project to assist business owners in Cariboo / Chilcotin communities to prepare for a successful business succession. It provides:
- Detailed Succession Planning Workshops
- Financial Incentives* to support business owners to obtain expert advice
The financial incentive provides for a 50% reimbursement of actual costs up to $3,000 for pre-approved professional services.
Contact us to apply for assistance and for timing of workshops.
* Funding is limited. Please apply promptly
Sustainable Not For Profit Organization
Promoting Sustainability and Resiliency of Not For Profit Organizations in Rural Communities:
The Sustainable Not For Profit program is designed to provide current not for profit organizations in the Fraser Fort George region with access to training, tools, and resources to build skills, capacity and knowledge for a more stable and sustainable delivery of their services. This two-day workshop will cover many important aspects that are critical to know and consider when supporting a not-for-profit in your community.
Module 1: Not-for-Profit Board Governance: Roles and Responsibilities of the Board
This module will focus on the on the core legal responsibilities and fiduciary duties of serving on a board of directors. The module will focus on:
- The distinction between governance and operations;
- Defining governance from a practical standpoint;
- Review board governance practices for small rural not-for-profit organization, including effective meeting practices;
- Financial oversight responsibilities of the Board and best practices in financial governance.
Module 2: Strategic Planning and Measuring Success
This session will equip participants with the tools to define the role of the board and the role of management in preparing for and developing a strategic plan and evaluate the differences between a strategic plan and an operational plan. This module will focus on:
- Preparation steps, including environmental scanning, for effective strategic planning,
- The five key components of a strategic plan: vision, mission, success, strategic goals and values.
- Tools to help define success, aligned with the subsequent module focused on measurement.
Module 3: Building Board Leadership: Strategic Board Recruitment and Succession Planning
This session provides participants with the information and tools to effectively and proactively develop board capacity. This module will focus on:
- Developing a strategic framework to identify, recruit, and engage new board members who will contribute to their organization’s future;
- Tools to ensure that board succession planning becomes part of the culture;
- Recognizing the importance of all aspects of diversity, developing cultural awareness, board orientation and onboarding, and fostering an inclusive organizational culture.
Module 4: Asset-Based Not-for-Profit Operational Planning
This session introduces participants to operational planning, which will include aligning organizational resources to achieve strategic goals. This module will focus on:
- Considering both financial and non-financial resources, and approach resource development on the basis of the assets they already have available within their communities and organizations;
- Budgeting and fund development will be covered, How to overcoming scarcity thinking and the restrictions imposed by current constraints when developing budgets;
- Discovering a new road map to increase mission delivery, and identifying 2-3 concrete next steps that can be implemented right away.
Module 5: Building Proposals, Project Plans, and Evaluation Frameworks
This session provides participants with tools and techniques for writing successful project proposals. This session will focus on:
- Identifying potential funders whose interests align with your project;
- Crafting data-driven project descriptions with concrete, measurable outcomes;
- Developing clear project plans, solid budgets and simple evaluation plans.
- Key elements of effective report writing to sustain and nurture relationships with funders.
Rural Business Expanding Success
The Rural Business Expanding Success (RBES) project is designed to provide existing small and medium sized business in the rural regions and communities of the Regional District of the Fraser Fort George with easy access to training and support that will develop critical tools and support to expand or grow the business.
Through face to face delivery and ongoing support 4 specific skills training modules will be delivered in Mackenzie, Valemount, and McBride.
Module 1: Expand target markets through social media marketing. Specifically learning how to use social media to connect with the business target markets.
Module 2: Online Sales: developing the skills, knowledge and expertise to sell their products or services outside of the communities
Module 3: Human Resources and Retention strategies: providing skills training to retain highly skilled staff that are committed to the business.
Module 4: Leadership by design is focused on community leaders that are interested in becoming business mentors, sharing knowledge and expertise to enable the success of others.
Robson Valley Agribusiness
The Robson Valley Agribusiness program is designed to provide current agri-business operators in the Robson Valley region with access to training, and tools and resources to explore opportunities for business growth and market expansion.
Through delivery of five face to face workshop modules that will be delivered in McBride in Spring 2018, and Valemount in Fall 2018.
Module 1: Understanding the Opportunities for Growth: This module helps participants understand new opportunities in agri-business and specifically learning how to validate trends through market research.
Module 2: Ways to Capture the Opportunity: This module helps participants understand the process of developing an opportunity map and learning about different business strategies that can support expansion such as diversification, innovation, partnerships, clusters and cooperatives.
Module 3: Marketing Plan: This module helps participants understanding the value of marketing and different approaches that can be successful to marketing an agri-business.
Module 4: Online Marketing and E-Commerce: This module helps guide participants through the world of online marketing and what opportunities exist for business expansion though e-commerce.
Module 5: Introduction to Value Chain: Understanding what a value chain is and why they are critical for a successful agri-business.